4 COUNTIES RING
6th - 20th September 2003
- Depart Chirk Marina on the Llangollen Canal at
3-15pm through the WhitehouseTunnel.
- Over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and turn at
- Back over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and
return through the Whitehouse and Chirk Tunnels.
- Moor at the "Poachers Pocket",
Gledrid Bridge at 18:45 for
- Depart 9:00 to continue on the Llangollen Canal with lunch at
- Moor at Platt Lane Bridge (No 43) at 18:00 for evening
at "The Waggoner Inn".
- Depart 8:00 and continue on the Llangollen Canal.
- Through the Grinley staircase locks, with a
lunch stop for Jim only at the "Cotton Arms" Wrenbury.
- Stop at Ravensmoor, but decide to go on
through the Swanley Locks.
- Moor at Wrexham Bridge (No 6) for very good evening at
the "Star Inn" in Acton Village.
- A bad start when the drive select cable
broke. Delayed until 11am whilst the boatyard came and replaced it.
- Navigated Hurleston Junction onto the
Shropshire Union canal for short distance.
- Joined the "Middlewich Branch" of
the Shropshire Union at Barbridge Junction and travelled towards Middlewich.
- Lunch stop at the "Romping Donkey",
Hasall Green (quelled mutiny).
- Moored at 17:40 near the Kings Lock for an evening
at various pubs in
- Left Middlewich at 9:00 on the Trent and Mersey canal.
- Moored for the evening in Rode Heath (Bridge
140) at 18:00
- Depart 9:00 towards Kidsgrove and the start
of the Harecastle Tunnel
- Navigate the 2,926 yard tunnel emerging at
- Lunch stop at Westpool Lake
- Called at the Etruria Marina for re-fuel,
pump-out and water
- Travelled south to Bridge 104, arriving just
short of Barlaston at 8pm in the dark and rain.
- Evening at the "Plume of Feathers at
- Left Barlston at 9:35 towards Stone on route to
- Stopped at "The Star" at Stone for
lunch and shopping.
- Loss of one Windlass at one of the locks by
Ron is considered a serious problem!!
- Continued south toward Haywood Junction for
Saturday 13th - CHANGEOVER DAY
- Second crew called at Stone boatyard to
purchase replacement Windlass (Lost by first crew)
- Crew was successfully changed at Radford
Bridge with an excellent celebratory Carvery Lunch at the Radford Bank
Hotel. Changeover position shown below:
- Evening stop at Gailey Bridge for a spot of
fishing. (See Colin's catch)
- Dine at the "Spread Eagle" in Gailey
about 1/4 mile from the boat
Sunday 14th (Weather Hot and Sunny)
- Left Gailey to Authersley Junction where we
made a sharp right turn onto the Shropshire Union
- Passed several miles of fisherman in a
- Stopped at the "Bridge Inn" at
Brewood for a pleasant few pints in the sunshine
- Moored at Gnosnall for the evening with dinner
at the Royal Oak.
Monday 15th (Weather very Hot and
- Left Gnosnall, filling with water at Norbury
Junction, as per the picture below
- Lunch stop at The Wharf Taven at Goldsborough
bridge, purchasing some maggots from a friendly fisherman
- Negotiated the Tyrley flight of five Locks.
- Evening at Market Drayton with the evening
meal at "The Talbot".
Tuesday 16th (Weather continuing very
Hot and Sunny)
- Depart from Market Drayton and shortly enter
the Audlem Locks flight with some 15 locks
- Afterwards a very pleasant lunchtime stop at
the "Shroppie Fly" by the canalside in Audlem
- Stop in the evening in a elevated position by
an aqueduct with a walk into Nantwich
- An enjoyable meal at "The Shakespeare"
and some pints afterwards at the "Oldfellows Arms".
Wednesday 17th (Weather continuing very Hot and Sunny)
- Leave Market Drayton and soon make the sharp
turn into the Llangollen canal and immediately through four locks
- Arrive at Wrenbury for a drink at the Dusty
Miller and lunch at the Cotton Arms
- Group photo taken:
- After operating the automated lift bridge,
continue on to Grinley Brrok Locks, where the triple basin lock is traversed
just before closing.
- Moor for the evening some distance from the
locks and walk to the "Horse and Jockey" for a quiet and slightly
Thursday 18th (Weather dry, warm, but
- Travel on to Ellesmere where we moor in the
canal spur after a turning the boat at the winding hole.
- Drinks in the Red Lion followed by Hot Dogs
back on board
- Continue to Maestermyn Bridge for the evening,
where we stay at the boatyard and eat at the adjacent Narrowboat Inn
Friday 19th (Weather dull and
threatening rain, but virtually dry all day)
- Continue back up the Llangollen Canal towards
- Stop just short of the Chirk Aqueduct for a
lunch stop at the "Bridge Inn" for a pleasand stop in the company
- Travel on over the Chirk Aqueduct (Picture
below) and a tunnel passing the home Chirk Marina on the left
- Continue on to traverse the Pontcysylite Aqueduct
for a second time, turning immediately afterwards and returning
- Stop for the last night at mooring some
distance from Froncysyllte for and evening in a Welsh pub called the
Saturday 20th (Weather dull)
- Return to the boatyard fro 9am, delivering to
boat in first class condition
- After Jim's car started first time, we drove
back to Yorkshire arriving around lunchtime.